The following is a list of 30 bits of wisdom.
I’ve collected these pithy statements, or platitudes, over the years. Sometimes they bring great comfort, sometimes I read them and see new meaning within the string of letters.
I hope that you find some value in them now.
- Peace comes from within, do not seek it without.
- A jug fills drop by drop
- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.
- Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love, this is the eternal rule.
- Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.
- In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves
- In the sky there is no distinction between east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.
- No one can save us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
- [Tweet “The mind is everything, what you think you become.”]
- He is able who thinks he is able.
- You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection
- Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it.
- The way is not in the sky, the way is in the heart
- To live a pure unselfish life one must count nothing as ones own in the midst of abundance.
- To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.
- There are only two mistakes one can make on the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting
- the foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.
- It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.
- To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
- There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.
- You only lose what you cling to.
- Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
- Doubt everything. Find your own light.
- If you truly loved yourself, you could never hurt another.
- A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.
- Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant with the weak and wrong. Sometime in your life, you will have been all of these.
- Pain is certain, suffering is optional.
- Do not look for a sanctuary in anyone except yourself.
- Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.
- Long is the night to him who is awake; long is a mile to him who is tired; long is life to the foolish who do not know the true law.